Chocolate + pumpkin = a pretty darn good combo! There’s something about pumpkin (one of the best things about fall) and adding chocolate (always a bonus) that just hits the spot.
Good thing you can’t see my freezer right now cause it’s overflowing with about ten chocolate mousse containers. What a delicious mess – and it’s totally worth it.
This Chocolate Avocado Mousse is one of my favorite recipes that I eat on everything from my Flourless Pumpkin Pancakes to yogurt powerbowls to apple slices with macaroons to chocolate superfood brownies.
A few weeks ago, I got back into full swing with my food prep. I’ve really been enjoying breaking in my new kitchen with chopping and prepping on Sundays. It’s been extraordinarily beautiful and temperate outside lately so I open my kitchen window to get the breeze, and with football on in the background and some chill tunes it makes for a lovely Sunday afternoon activity. Plus, then I’m set with healthy food for the week!
Last weekend I had just made some Pumpkin Spice Energy Bars and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars and was on to my Chocolate Avocado Mousse and decided to throw some pumpkin and spices in – voila, this Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Mousse was born, and now my fridge and freezer are full of even more mousse.
…which is always a good thing.
So, I know in my last post, I said I’d share some non-pumpkin recipes. Whoops. I couldn’t help but share this delish mousse before pumpkin mania is out and peppermint is in. BUT, I do have some awesome non-pumpkinny posts coming up including:
- a holiday gift guide;
- why I took 3 months off from the gym and how I feel about it now;
- meditation + 10 more ways to nourish your body, mind, and spirit everyday;
- my favorite ecofriendly beauty buys;
- a 5-minute fall trail mix; and
- my favorite quick & easy, clean, nutrient-packed snacks.
I would LOVE if you’d leave a comment and let me know which posts you want to see first!
- 11 - 12 drops stevia
- 10 very soft, large, plump medjool dates (soak them in water soften if needed)
- A little less than ¼ tsp of salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- Flesh from 2 ripe avocados
- ½ TB vanilla extract
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 TB melted coconut oil
- 1 TB water
- Combine all ingredients, except for the stevia, in a food processor. Process for 10 – 15 seconds, wipe down the sides, and process for another 10 or so seconds.
- Add 1 TB of water if you find the mousse is not processing very well.
- Wipe down the sides. Turn on the processor and add the stevia drops.
- Process until smooth.
- Taste, adjust if needed. Need it sweeter? Add more dates or stevia. Want more spice? Add more cinnamon and a touch of pumpkin pie spice.
- Store in the fridge.
I double the recipe and freeze half in small glass containers. Put the container in the fridge overnight to thaw and it will be ready to eat the next morning!
Not a fan of stevia? Try adding maple syrup or honey to taste.
Products I used:
- Medjool dates
- Pumpkin puree
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
- Liquid Stevia
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Food Processor