I’m back again with another one of my favorite snacks. When I shared my Pumpkin Spice Energy Bars, I shared how I am one of those people who needs to eat every few hours or I get hangry. And apparently I’m not alone! Loved getting all your feedback and hearing from fellow snack-lovers.
So, in the spirit of fall, I present to you a customizable, five-minute fall trail mix. You literally throw all the ingredients in a jar or bag and voila! Cinnamon-y, toasted goodness at your fingertips. Anytime, anywhere.
I mention customizable because we’re all different. I loooove mulberries, but my husband doesn’t care for them, so I doubled the cherries and cranberries – or try raisins. I wanted a roast-toasty flavor in the mix, so I toasted my nuts and seeds, but you could certainly eat them raw if that’s your preference. Do what works for you! Consider the ‘recipe’ below a template.
This five-minute trail mix is perfect for my paleo, gluten-free, vegan, or sugar-free friends! Again, use ingredients that work for you. I’m trying to avoid added sugar, so I used unsweetened tart cherries and cranberries, as well as unsweetened dark chocolate chunks (see my full ingredient list below). When I made this for my friends, I used gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free chocolate chips, raisins, and sweet cherries. You do you!
Let’s talk storage options. I try to avoid the toxic chemicals (i.e. BPA, Phthalates, etc) in plastics, so I stick with reusable cloth baggies, stainless steel containers, or glass jars. My favorites are MIRA nesting stainless steel containers, Lunchskins reusable sandwich baggies, or glass jars.
What are you making for Thanksgiving? Leave a comment and let me know! I’ve fallen down the Pinterest rabbit hole, of course. It’s so hard not to get sucked into all of the beautiful pictures and get inspired! Check out the MTG Pinterest boards if you’re in need of ideas…
AND, on the topic of the holidays, I couldn’t hold back from spreading the word about this bonus holiday gift of a Lip Shine if you grab a Scarlet Lip Sheer through Nov. 15 from Beautycounter (gorgeous, safe cosmetics)… the Lip Shine is one I use everyday, and the Scarlet Lip Sheer looks perfect for holiday parties.
I recently found out about Beautycounter and have become obsessed. So much so, I just became a consultant! I wanted to spread the word about the holiday gifts they have – they’re definitely on my wish list.
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), lightly toasted
- 1 cup pecan pieces, lightly toasted
- 1 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup mulberries
- ½ chocolate chips, chopped dark chocolate, or cacao nibs
- Sprinkle of salt to taste
- Sprinkle of cinnamon to taste
- If using raw nuts and seeds, lightly toast them, if desired. I spread them in an even layer and toasted in the toaster oven for up to 2 minutes (be careful not to overdo it!)
- Combine all nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and chocolate in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add a few dashes of salt and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- Taste, add more salt and cinnamon to taste.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Products I used:
- Dried Cranberries
- Dried Cherries
- Unsweetened Dried Cherries
- Gluten-free, Dairy-free Chocolate Chips
- Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Bar
- Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Chunks
- Dark Chocolate Bar
- Cacao Nibs
- Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- Pecan Pieces
- Walnut Pieces
- Pink Himalayan Salt