Sadly our summer days are starting to dwindle, so we need to make the most of the summer we have left! Savor it. Celebrate it. Be grateful for it. What better way to enjoy the last bit of summer than to turn on some reggae-inspired beats, enjoy some tropical treats, and practice summer self-care! This is Part 2 (of 2) in Made to Glow’s Savor the End of Summer series. In case you missed Part 1, click here – Tropical Treats and Reggae-inspired Beats.
I hope you enjoyed a relaxing, restorative long weekend. Labor Day weekend is usually seen as the symbolic end to the summer, but there are still at least a few weeks (or more if you’re lucky and live in a warm place) of summer left. Before the leaves start changing, the days get shorter, and the cold weather comes in, let’s appreciate all that summer has to offer. A great way to do that is to take your self-care outside!
This may seem like a pretty intuitive concept, but we’re all very busy people and we often forget to slow down and live in the present. Consider this your gentle reminder 🙂 Before we know it, it’ll be winter and we’ll want to avoid being outside in the cold air – enjoy summer while we can and be grateful for today.
More and more studies are highlighting the amazing health benefits of being in the great outdoors. Research has shown that being outside can increase happiness, reduce depression and feelings of hopelessness, increase energy, and even provide increased immune activity. Nature is a wonderful antidepressant!
Why not practice your self-care methods outside while the weather is still warm and the days are longer? Here are some tips to inspire you to get outside:
– Exercise outside – swim, walk, run, yoga, qigong, hike, tennis, bike – anything that gets you moving and grooving outdoors. If you’re not feeling up to exercising, how about taking some time to do some stretching, meditating, or breathing exercises outside.
– Eat your meals outside – dinner al fresco, anyone? As the nights cool off, enjoy the abundance of summer produce while you dine outdoors. And if you’re feeling funky at work, take your lunch outside to get away from the computer.
– Take a long hike or walk with a friend instead of meeting for coffee or happy hour. You get some exercise, fresh air, and time to talk.
– Go to an outdoor concert. Take advantage of the last of the summer concert series! Let the music be your therapy.
– Get outside with friends and family for bbqs, picnics, and beach/lake/pool time. Connecting with others (especially outside!) is a great way to feel better fast.
– Take long walks with your loved ones and/or pets to enjoy the sunsets. Be grateful for all that is around you.
– Relish the last of the summer produce at farmers markets. Seasonal produce at its best!
To savor the end of summer, I’m going to try to take more late evening walks while its still light out late. They help me wind down and assess the day, and give me a chance to focus on my breathing and the gorgeous scenery around me. What are you going to try? Leave a comment and let us know!